Should u File Income tax return mandatorily? To know about it, read on…
The Permanent Account Number (PAN) card is a unique identification number issued by the Income Tax Department in India. It serves as a vital document for taxpayers and plays a crucial role in various financial and legal transactions. One common question that arises among PAN cardholders is whether filing an income tax return is mandatory for everyone. In this article, we will explore this topic and provide insights into the importance of filing income tax returns for PAN holders.
1. Understanding the PAN Card
Before delving into the topic, let’s briefly understand what a PAN card is. A PAN card is a ten-digit alphanumeric number that serves as a unique identifier for taxpayers in India. It helps in tracking financial transactions and acts as valid proof of identity. The PAN card contains essential details such as the individual’s name, photograph, date of birth, and PAN number.
2. The Significance of Income Tax Return Filing
Filing income tax returns is an integral part of the financial ecosystem in India. It is a legal obligation for individuals and businesses whose income falls within the taxable bracket. Here are some reasons why filing income tax returns is crucial:
- Compliance with Tax Laws: Filing income tax returns ensures compliance with the tax laws of the country. It reflects your commitment to fulfilling your tax obligations as a responsible citizen.
- Proof of Income: Income tax returns serve as proof of your income, which is often required for various financial activities. It helps in obtaining loans, visas, and other official documents where income verification is necessary.
- Claiming Tax Refunds: By filing income tax returns, you can claim tax refunds if you have paid excess tax during the financial year. This allows you to recover the surplus amount and maximize your financial resources.
- Building a Financial Profile: Consistently filing income tax returns helps in building a strong financial profile. It demonstrates your financial responsibility and can positively impact your creditworthiness when applying for loans or other financial services.
- Avoiding Penalties: Non-compliance with income tax return filing can attract penalties and legal consequences. It is essential to file your returns within the stipulated deadlines to avoid unnecessary penalties and ensure a smooth financial journey.
3. Mandatory Income Tax Return Filing for PAN Holders
As per the Income Tax Act, not all PAN cardholders are required to file income tax returns mandatorily. The necessity of filing depends on certain factors such as:
- Income Level: Individuals whose annual income exceeds the prescribed threshold are obligated to file income tax returns. The threshold varies depending on the age and category of the taxpayer.
- Mandatory Requirement: PAN holders who satisfy one of the following criterias shall mandatorily file Income -tax returns :-
- Payment of Electricity Bill exceeding Rs. 1 Lakh
- Expenditure on Foreign Travel exceeding Rs. 2 Lakhs
- Deposit in Current Account exceeding Rs. 1 Crore
- Total Sales in business exceeding Rs. 60 l Lakhs
- Total Receipts in Profession (Doctors, Advocates, CAs, etc) exceeds Rs. 10 Lakhs
- Deposit in one or more savings account exceeding Rs. 50 Lakhs
- TDS/TCS exceeding Rs. 25000/- in your PAN. (Rs. 50000/- for senior citizens)
- Foreign Assets: Individuals who possess foreign assets or have financial interests in entities outside India are also required to file income tax returns mandatorily, irrespective of their income level.
Apart from the above, in general its a good practice to file Income-tax returns to have continuity of your submission of returns to IT department and also to avoid notices from Income-tax department.
4. Benefits of Voluntary Income Tax Return Filing
Even if you are not mandatorily required to file income tax returns, there are several advantages to doing so voluntarily:
- Financial Planning: Filing income tax returns enables you to evaluate your financial position accurately. It helps in assessing your income, expenses, and investments, facilitating effective financial planning for the future.
- Access to Financial Services: Many financial institutions require income tax returns as a proof of income for providing loans, credit cards, or other financial products. Filing returns voluntarily ensures you have the necessary documentation readily available.
- Carry Forward Losses: By filing income tax returns, you can carry forward losses incurred during a financial year. These losses can be offset against future income, reducing your tax liability in subsequent years.
- Supporting Documents: Income tax returns act as supporting documents for various official purposes, such as visa applications, immigration processes, or loan approvals. Having a consistent record of filing returns can simplify such procedures.
While not all PAN cardholders are mandatorily required to file income tax returns, it is essential to understand the applicable rules and regulations. Filing returns voluntarily brings several benefits, including financial planning, access to financial services, and the ability to carry forward losses. It is advisable to consult a tax professional or seek guidance from the Income Tax Department to ensure compliance and make informed decisions regarding income tax return filing.
- Who needs to file income tax returns in India?
Individuals whose income exceeds the prescribed threshold or those earning income from sources other than salary need to file income tax returns.
- What happens if I don’t file my income tax returns?
Non-compliance with income tax return filing can attract penalties and legal consequences. It is advisable to file returns within the stipulated deadlines to avoid such penalties.
- Is it mandatory for PAN cardholders to file income tax returns?
Not all PAN cardholders are mandatorily required to file income tax returns. The necessity depends on factors such as income level, type of income, and possession of foreign assets.
- Are there any benefits to filing income tax returns voluntarily?
Yes, voluntary filing of income tax returns brings benefits such as financial planning, access to financial services, and the ability to carry forward losses.
- How can I seek assistance for income tax return filing?
You can consult a tax professional or seek guidance from the Income Tax Department’s official website for assistance with income tax return filing.
Click here to send an enquiry to us for your Income-tax return filing.